EASY CARPET CLEANING CHECKLIST
Carpets as flooring have their own benefits and disadvantages. The disadvantages of carpets as home flooring is that they tend to attract dust and dirt more than any other floorings. The fibers of a carpet material, help the dust to sink in and accumulate underneath. It is also highly prone to stains and spills, as well as tears. The dust and moisture accumulation within the fiber of the carpet, reduces the air quality of a home as allergens and mold growth takes place faster in these conditions. Still most of the homes have carpets. That is because the carpets lends a warmth to the home interiors and the colors of the carpets are easy to blend with that of the indoor colors of a home.
So if you want to blend or create a contrast in the color scheme of a room, throw in a carpet. Carpets also lend a soft feel to the feet and are comfortable to lie around on. So if you own carpet(s) it is of course needed that you take proper care of it. Getting carpet(s) cleaned by professionals occasionally is important for thorough cleaning, but regular cleaning and maintenance of carpet ensure that the indoor air is clean and the life of the carpet(s) is lengthened.
Here is a checklist that will help you to take care of your carpet(s) at home. A simple process that ensure that your carpet as well as your home environment is clean and safe for all those who reside there.
CLEARING THE CARPET AREA
- Pick up all that is lying on the carpets- toys, books and magazines etc.
- Remove as much furniture as possible.
- Clear the area that is to be cleaned, shift small items like floor lamps, stools, coffee tables and other removable objects.
- Patch test the carpet for colorfastness.
TEST THE CARPET FOR COLOR FASTNESS
- Find a hidden spot of the carpet (maybe a small patch that falls under a heavy furniture or that runs inside a closet)
- Vacuum the spot Moist a piece of clean cloth with the cleaning agent or stain remover that you are to use.
- Lay the cloth on the carpet and leave it on for an hour approximately.
- Blot the damp area with another clean towel
- Check the towel for any carpet dye that might have soaked off
- Keep on checking with cleaners until you find one that does not bleed your carpet.
- Vacuum clean to remove dirt and dust lying loose on the carpet surface
- Spot clean the carpet first.
- Check for any stains and spills.
- See if the stain can be removed with drops of liquid dish detergent and warm water.
- Change cloth frequently and repeat process.
- Next, spray the area with a solution of warm water and white vinegar in the ratio 3:1 and then cover the area with a clean towel.
- Steam clean over the towel.
- This will transfer the stain on to the towel from the carpet, leaving it stain free.
- Spray areas of high traffic with traffic lane cleaner to remove greasy dirt from shoes
- Spray the rest of the area with an absorbent cleaning powder if you are using a dry cleaning machine.
- If you are using a steam extractor avoid over wetting of the carpet.
- Work the machines well on the surface of the carpet, take care on reaching out to the corners and near the baseboards, carpet paddings, stair cases.
- Allow the carpet to dry before rearranging your furniture
- You can also use a natural deodorizer like a vinegar and water solution for a fresh smelling house.
Hope this carpet cleaning checklist helps you keeping your home smelling fresh and dazzling.